Did You Know that the avocado has been called the world’s most perfect food and has many health benefits? It has achieved this distinction because many nutritionists claim it not only contains everything a person needs to survive but it has also been found to contribute to the prevention and control of Alzheimer’s, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and other health conditions.
The avocado is a high-fiber, gluten-free food that provides nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, is rich in healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (such as omega-3 fatty acids), vitamins A, C, D, E, K and the B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12 and folate) — as well as potassium.
Foods naturally rich in omega-3 fatty acids, such as avocados, are widely acknowledged as the secret to a healthy heart, a brilliant brain and eagle eyes.
Avocados are readily available in most grocery stores.They are pear shaped and green in colour when unripe and they turn a blackish green and are softer to the touch,when ripe.If you buy them in the green state they will ripen on your counter top or placed in a paper bag in a few days.
Here are some ways I incorporate avocados into my gluten free diet.
-The obvious is guacamole. There are many recipes online and I serve it with gluten free corn chips
-You can add some avocado to your morning fruit smoothie.
-My favourite way is to simply scoop out the avocado and sprinkle salt and lime juice on it
-You can slice and add to sandwiches like a toasted bacon and tomato.(Chelsey’s favourite)
– And for a sweet treat try this chocolate avocado pudding.You won’t be able to tell it’s in there so your kids or you won’t know you are eating something healthy.
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 2 cups avocado (about 2 medium avocados)
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
Optional: To make it a bit lighter (as in milk chocolate pudding) or to thin it out a bit, add about 2 or 3 tablespoons of milk or dairy free almond or other kind and blend well.
- Add all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and whirl until it is creamy and fully blended. Scrape the sides to get all the cocoa powder in the pudding.
- Chill for 30 minutes and then eat!